Every January, during what passes for winter in South Tampa, hordes of pirates sail a colorful ship towards South Tampa. After disembarking, they shake the town up, not with violence and mayhem, but with the third largest pirate parade/celebration in the U.S. The “pirates” are actually members of a group called Ye Mystic Krewe Gasparilla, who are carrying on a rich tradition that began in 1904. The event includes balls, fireworks, and fun galore. It’s one of the reasons why so many people across the country would love to own a piece of South Tampa real estate.
You’ll find plenty of other unique things in South Tampa, including:
- The longest continuous sidewalk anywhere on earth. It runs along spectacular Bayshore Boulevard, home to the wealthy and powerful, and overlooks Hillsborough Bay.
- The Palma Ceia Community and Country Club and Bayshore Yacht Club, where the social and financial elite golf, dine, and sail.
- Hyde Park, home to some of the finest historical homes in the country
- Hyde Park Village, where Hollywood celebrities, captains of industry, and wizards of finance shop and attend special events.
- The spectacular three-mile-long Friendship Trail Bridge, which offers pedestrians and bicycle riders a route over open waters to Pinellas County. Currently in danger of being demolished, local residents have raised millions in support of a plan to save it for future generations. As of this writing the bridge’s future is still uncertain.
For those with an appreciation for the finer things in life, South Tampa is a magnificent place to call home.